The Energy Unit is the competent authority and focal point for energy policy, regulation, resource evaluation and resource management, training and skills development, and for collaborative efforts with regional and international agencies and organizations in respect of energy and energy efficiency programs and projects. This unit provides information, support and assistance to both the public and private sectors for development and enhancement of the energy sector with the initial focus on energy cost reduction, and energy efficiency and conservation.
The Energy Unit promotes the development efforts to achieve the national energy objectives of:
- Reduction of energy costs and tariffs
- Greater energy security
- Increased energy independence, including through the development of renewable natural resources
- Maximization of energy efficiency
- Greater environmental sustainability
- Extension of universal electricity coverage
- Increased public education and awareness of the energy sector regarding geothermal energy, energy efficiency and conservation.