Livestock Development Unit
The Livestock Development Section is responsible for carrying out two main functions namely, Animal Health and Animal husbandry of several species (cattle, goats, pigs, sheep, rabbits and honeybees) nation-wide.
The units mission is to develop and promote animal production systems and to encourage the use of local resources utilizing sustainable and reliable feeding programs, in the production of healthy livestock for providing meat and meat products all geared towards food security, self sufficiency and lowering the food import bill, for all Dominicans.
- Provision of Technical services for livestock production
- Carry out farm visits and to provide technical information relating to pasture establishment management, feeding and grazing, as well as the utilization of local resources for animal feeding.
- Management of Central Livestock Farm.
- Provide the necessary technical information related to animal breeding, selection, and housing systems.
- Provide strategies for an integrated livestock, vegetable and crop production systems aimed at promoting sustainable organic agriculture (crops and livestock).
- Provision of essential inputs through revolving fund for farm development programs, fencing material (barbed and sheep fencing wire, and rabbit cage wire)
- Provide support to farmer organisations and groups and identifying specific areas for project development and to seek funding from foreign agencies to assist farmers.
The livestock Development Unit is an integral part of the Division of Agriculture, Regional Teams system and also works closely with the following units:
- Agricultural Investment Unit
- Extension Unit
- Produce Chemist Lab
- Forestry Division
- Fisheries Division
- Land And Surveys
- Communication and Works
- Other institutions such as CARDI, IICA and OIE
- 3 Veterinarians
- 6 Animal Health and Production Officers
- 1 Animal Production Officers
- Central Live Stock Farm which consists of
- Goat Multiplication Unit
- Sheep Multiplication Unit
- Dairy and Cattle Multiplication Unit
- Pig Breeding Unit
- Rabbit Breeding Unit
- Research Center The Functions of the CLF are as follows:
- Produce genetically superior breeding animals for sale to livestock farmers.
- Provide technical information to farmers
- Sale of Inputs: sheep fencing wire, Bard wire
- Promotion of New Technologies. Renewable Energy
- Diagnostic capabilities :
- Conventionally PCR diagnosis of Chytrid Fungus, Black Sigatoka, Citrus Greening Disease, Leptospirosis
The Unit also caters to the animal's health component providing:
- Regulatory Services
- Regulation of importation of Live Animals, meat and meat products, milk and milk products
- examination of animals and animal products for export.
- Amblyomma Tick Elimination Program
- Varroa Mite Control Program
- Avian Influenza(H1N1), Foot and Mouth disease, BSE, CSF, leptospirosis, prevention and awareness programs.